Creamy Italian White Bean Soup
· 1 onion, chopped
· 1 red bell pepper, chopped
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 2 (16 ounce) cans white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
· 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable stock or water
· 1 teaspoon dried thyme
· 2 cups water
· 1 bunch fresh spinach, rinsed and roughly chopped
· 1 tablespoon lemon juice
· 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, fined chopped
· Salt to taste
In a large saucepan, sauté onion and bell pepper in water for 5 to 8 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic, and cook for 30 seconds, continually stirring. Stir in half the beans, vegetable stock, thyme and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and then simmer for 15 minutes.
In blender at low speed, blend reserved beans with 1 cup of soup liquid. Pour blended beans into the pot and bring back to a boil.
Stir in spinach and cook 1 minute or until spinach is wilted. Stir in lemon juice, salt and chopped parsley. Remove from heat and serve with more fresh parsley on top, if desired.